top of page

History of the Club


In 1949, a group of people belonging to the Clemton Park Progress Association decided to form a bowling club. They met in a member’s garage at 47 Jarrett St where they formed a committee to invest in land for a bowling club. One of the members was George Mulder who was Deputy Mayor of Canterbury at the time, and with his help the committee obtained the land from the Crown at 38 Jarrett St, Clemton Park.

The men of this original group, together with many willing volunteers gave freely of their time levelling the site, carting filling (400 tons loaded and moved over one weekend), struggling with railway sleepers (purchased from Dept of Railways for threepence each), building banks, bagging and carting ashes, top-dressing the greens and planting couch runners and later top-dressing again and sowing with bent seed.

The first clubhouse was built from materials obtained by purchasing Johnson’s old Kingsgrove Dairy for 100 pounds. The Milking Shed and Dairy Storeroom were disassembled and moved to this site where the clubhouse was entirely constructed by members; builders, plumbers, electricians, welders, painters and amateur labourers.

The refrigerator and cool rooms were dismantled at the old Dairy and re-assembled in the clubhouse by members with the specialist skills.

After two years the green was established and bowling began. The Clubhouse and Greens were officially opened on 28 November 1953 by the President of the NSW Bowling Association.

The stone work at the Jarrett St entrance was obtained due to a flood which happened in Kingsgrove in the 1950s. The Water Board needed to excavate to repair the road and a stone bridge was discovered, possibly built by convict labour. The foundation President, George Mulder asked the Water Board whether the stonework could be removed to 38 Jarrett St and they were more than happy for this to happen.

It is important to note the vital role the women played in the formation of the club.

A Ladies Auxiliary was formed and worked hard on providing catering and organising social functions to raise club funds. The Auxiliary also paid for the stonemasons to build the stone entrance from the stonework obtained from the Water Board. The seats on the banks overlooking the green were donated from funds raised by the wives of members.

The Ladies Bowling Club was formed and was very successful over the years. At one stage the Women’s Bowling Club boasted 112 Bowling Members.

Sadly the Ladies Bowling Club is no more, but we maintain a hope that a new generation of women will become interested in enjoying the great game of bowls.  




Later generations of Board Directors and members continued to make improvements to the club and its surrounds. In more recent years, 2011/12 the Board undertook some major works to help revitalise the Club. A green which laid dormant for a number of years was reconstructed and moved to its present location adjacent to the No.1 green. This green is now recognised as one of the finest bowling greens in the district. As part of that re-development the covered BBQ area was built, which provides an excellent venue for the community to hold a variety of functions. In addition the perimeter fencing was built which provides not only greater security, but also greater safety for the children of families who use our outdoor facilities.

In 2018 we were pleased to amalgamate with Hurlstone Park Bowling Club. This amalgamation brought us a number of new bowling and social members who we are pleased to have on board.

In April 2019 the Club celebrated its 70th Anniversary, hosting teams from neighbouring clubs Earlwood-Bardwell Park, Belfield and Belmore.

As a small community club, the members and local community help drive our success, so please continue to support us as much as possible. We always welcome new members, both bowling members and social members.

Foundation Day 6.jpg
bottom of page